Safety Trained Supervisor for Construction (STSC)
Examination Preparation Workshop
1 Day / 0.7 CEUs
Workshops include a professionally published Workbook, BCSP approved scientific calculator, pencils, notepad, highlighter, and SPAN™ exclusive CertBoK® online learning management system. SPAN™ CertBoK® includes 250 targeted questions with multiple enhanced learning, exam simulation, and performance tracking capabilities is provided as part of the workshop.
The Safety Trained Supervisor for Construction (STSC) certification provides a means for employers to verify safety and health knowledge of first-line supervisors and managers. The program requires applicants to meet minimum education and experience requirements and demonstrate knowledge of basic safety and health standards and practices.
The STSC workbooks cover the exam blueprint material that could possibly be tested. Each workbook contains a series of self-evaluation sessions using the same question, answer and explanation format as in the workshop and the Online Learning Management System membership. The material included in the self-evaluation sessions is designed to supplement study initiatives and reinforce those areas where emphasis is needed for the examination. The program will provide you with 250 researched questions, answers and, more importantly, explanations based on the contents of the exam blueprint.
The STS certification program is intended for individuals who:
- Are managers at any level.
- Are first line supervisors of work groups or organization units.
- Have a safety responsibility for a work group that is part of other work duties.
Eligibility and Examination
- Have two years of experience in any industry or in the industry related to the version of the STS examination to be taken.
- Have one year of experience as a supervisor or safety leader of a work group. Examples are manager, foreman, crew chief, superintendent, or member of a safety committee. This experience can be concurrent with Requirement #1. If you are training to become a supervisor or safety leader and do not have the one year of experience, you can substitute two additional years of industry experience in Requirement #1.
- Have completed 30 hours of formal safety training through a single course or multiple training courses.
Choice of Examination
The STS-Construction examination program is the first of the STS programs and has been in existence since 1995. The program is intended for managers, first-line construction supervisors, superintendents, foremen, crew chiefs, and craftsmen who have responsibilities to maintain safe conditions and practices on construction job sites. Currently, we have more than forty-seven hundred individuals who actively hold the STS-Construction certification.
Starting in 2004, the STS-General Industry examination program features workers in pest control, lawn care repair and maintenance, facility services, health care social assistants, and administrative and support management. Those individuals who pursue this program generally work in transportation, utilities and manufacturing. This examination program requires a supervisor to demonstrate his or her understanding of the principles and practices of supervision in the context of safety.
All STS examinations are administered by the BCSP.
To achieve the STS certification, you must pass a Safety Trained Supervisor examination. STS examinations are offered by computer at Pearson VUE testing center locations around the world every business day. The examination contains 100 multiple-choice questions and candidates have two hours to complete it.
Please refer to the STS Candidate Handbook for eligibility details, application instructions, examination blueprints, and information on testing centers.
For more information about the exam application process and exam fees contact the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) http://www.bcsp.org/
2301 W. Bradley Avenue
Champaign, Illinois USA 61821
P: +1 217-359-9263
F: +1 217-359-0055
Request a Quote | Contact Us