Safety Management Specialist (SMS)
Examination Preparation Workshop
3 Days / 2.2 CEUs / 3.67 Safety CM Points, 25.5 CMPs / 2.2 COCs
Safety Management Specialists (SMS) are individuals with management skills required for a business’s safe operation, applying these safety skills on a full-time or part-time basis as part of their job duties. Some examples of an SMS’s activities include defining and utilizing an organization’s safety management systems; risk management; incident investigation and emergency preparedness; maintaining current knowledge of safety, health, and environmental (SH&E) concepts; and identifying the business case for safety.
- Will work part-time or full-time in occupational health or safety with a minimum 35% of job tasks related to the management of safety related programs, processes, procedures and/or personnel
- Will have ten (10) years of experience in occupational health or safety.
- Must pass the SMS examination.
The SMS exam is a four and one-half hour computer delivered examination consists of 200 questions that examine the candidate’s applied knowledge of the application of experience gained through professional practice. BCSP awards the Safety Management Specialist (SMS) to individuals who demonstrate competency and work part-time or full-time in occupational health and safety activities devoted to the prevention of harm to individuals in the workplace environment. Whether your career goals include seeking a new position, moving up in your current organization or moving to private practice, you can accelerate your opportunities by achieving the Safety Management Specialist (SMS) certification. You can improve your chances for success, being selected for leadership and senior positions, and increased salary through the SMS credential. BCSP offers you the opportunity to rise above the competition by adding the SMS certification to your portfolio.
This course is designed to prepare individuals for the Comprehensive Examination leading to certification as a SMS. The workshop follows the exam blueprint. Your preparation will include lectures, sample problems, and discussions on a variety of subjects to prepare the student for the exam. At the completion of the SMS prep workshop participants will learn to:
- Determine whether you are ready to attend the Safety Fundamental Examination
- Identify areas where additional preparation is needed
- Design an individual study plan that ensures exam success
- Obtain answers to questions about core exam materials
- Become familiar with resources available to prepare for the exam
- Utilize information about certification requirements and scoring procedures in your test preparation
- Review content material utilizing a testing format