Occupational Health and Safety Technologist (OHST)
Examination Preparation Workshop
3 Days / 2.2 CEUs / 3.67 Safety CM Points, 25.5 CMPs / 2.2 COCs
Occupational Health and Safety Technologists are persons who perform occupational health and safety activities on a full-time or part-time basis as part of their job duties. Some examples of occupational health and safety activities (also performed by loss control specialists) are making worksite assessments to determine risks, potential hazards and controls, evaluating risks and hazard control measures, investigating incidents, maintaining and evaluating incident and loss records, and preparing emergency response plans.
- May work part-time or full-time in occupational health or safety (35% is the minimum)
- Have duties that require technical skills and knowledge in occupational health or safety
- Must have five years of experience in occupational health or safety
- Must pass the OHST examination
Candidates may substitute college courses in health and safety or an associate degree or higher in certain disciplines for some or all of the experience requirement. Degrees that may be substituted for experience are noted in BCSP's education standards. Students in associate or higher degree programs in occupational safety and health may sit for the examination during their last semester.
To retain the OHST certification, individuals must:
- Pay an annual renewal fee
- Meet Recertification requirements
The OHST program is nationally accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
OHST Workshop, ASSE SeminarFest
Las Vegas, NV - February 7-9, 2018
Register with the ASSE:
OHST Certificate Programs
Here is a list of certificate programs that qualify for credit toward the OHST certification:
- Central Maine Community College - Occupational Health and Safety Technologist Certificate (1 1/4 year)
- Texas Engineering Extension Service - Texas Engineering Extension Service (TEEX)- Certified Safety and Health Official™ - (1 year)
- Keene State College - Region 1 Certified Safety and Health Official (1/2 year)